Govern a portfolio
The purpose of this competency is to achieve the goals of the governance process, i.e. to:
- provide ownership of the objectives of the portfolio;
- oversee assurance of the portfolio;
- promote the discipline and profession of P3 management.
You must be able to:
- champion the objectives of the portfolio
- demonstrate commitment to the discipline and profession of P3 management
- influence senior executives to support the portfolio’s objectives
- motivate and support the management team
- resolve issues outside the manager’s control
- assure the quality of the process
The objectives referred to in the goals may relate to a standard or structured portfolio.
Governing a portfolio will include many people with different roles. This competency is aimed as someone who is accountable for the governance. The detailed responsibilities will be delegated to others.
This is the portfolio equivalent of project and programme sponsorship.
Knowledge and understanding
You need to know and understand:
- the goals of the process
- the typical activities that make up the process
- the context of the work and its impact on the process
- how to lead, motivate, influence and support the P3 community and stakeholders
- the principles of project and programme delivery
- the importance of organisational culture in the success of portfolios
- the role of strategic functions such as knowledge management, capability maturity, ethics and professionalism
- how assurance applies to the process
No history has been recorded.