Deliver a project or programme
The purpose of this competency is to achieve the goals of the delivery process, i.e. to:
- delegate responsibility for producing deliverables to the appropriate people;
- monitor the performance of the work and track against the delivery plans;
- take action where necessary to keep work in line with plans;
- escalate issues and replan if necessary;
- accept work as it is completed;
- maintain communication with all stakeholders.
You must be able to:
- define, delegate and accept work packages
- monitor and co-ordinate progress across work packages
- review and accept completed work
- predict issues, take corrective action and escalate as required
- prepare exception plans and submit for authorisation
- maintain effective communication at all times
- assure the quality of the process
When executing this process a manager may be managing a handful of part-time resources or a large and diverse range of internal and external resources.
Either way, the principles remain the same but the competency will need to be adapted to reflect how the criteria manifest themselves in a particular context.
For example, this could include reference to functional competencies such as manage contracts or manage funding.
It could also include reference to specific control techniques such as earned value management if these are required by the context of the work.
Knowledge and understanding
You need to know and understand:
- the goals of the process
- the typical activities that make up the process
- the context of the work and its impact on the process
- how to create and delegate work packages
- techniques for tracking progress including, if required, consolidation across multiple work packages
- how to identify potential issues and resolve or escalate them
- how to communicate progress
- how assurance applies to the process
No history has been recorded.