The purpose of this competency is to achieve the goals of negotiation in the P3 context, i.e. to:
- find solutions to issues involving two or more parties;
- develop beneficial relationships between two or more parties.
You must be able to:
- initiate and conduct a negotiation
- decide on the desired outcome and minimum acceptable position
- determine a negotiation strategy
- use bargaining techniques to reach a mutually acceptable conclusion
- use external parties if appropriate
- ensure the implementation of the negotiation’s outcomes
Negotiation is often primarily associated with contract negotiation but it is a skill equally applicable to areas such as conflict management and delegation.
Negotiation will be concentrated around the early stages of the life cycle and in the mobilisation activities in particular.
Knowledge and understanding
You need to know and understand:
- the goals of negotiation
- the context of the work and its impact on negotiation
- different types of negotiation
- how to plan for negotiation
- bargaining techniques
- the role of external parties in areas such as mediation and arbitration
- how to document the outcomes of the negotiation
No history has been recorded.