|Español - Italiano|
The purpose of this competency is to achieve the goals of sponsorship through the sponsorship process, i.e. to:
- provide ownership of the business case;
- act as champion for the objectives of the project or programme;
- make go/no go decisions at relevant points in the life cycle;
- address matters outside the scope of the manager’s authority;
- oversee assurance;
- give ad-hoc support the management team.
You must be able to:
| || |
Not everyone who needs to be competent in sponsorship is called a sponsor. For example, a programme manager may act as sponsor to some of a programme’s component projects.
The worst situation for any project, programme or portfolio is that someone has the title ‘Sponsor’ but does not have the skill or time to exhibit this competency.
Since the assurance of P3 management is a responsibility of the sponsor, it may seem odd that this competency includes assurance of sponsorship. It implies the sponsor is assuring themselves.
This criterion applies primarily to the situation where a programme or portfolio sponsor needs to assure the sponsorship of component projects or programmes.
Knowledge and understanding
You need to know and understand: