Comments

Control

 

Articles

Articles remain the copyright of the original authors and publishers. They are not covered by the Creative Commons licence.

Title

Author(s)

Notes

Provided by

The human side of earned value management

Dooley

Understanding a project control technique is only 20% of the way to success – the other 80% is about changing behaviour.

Praxis Framework

Project control

Manzanera

A chapter that suggests contractual terms for project controls - from the Engineering Project Management anthology

Praxis Framework

10 'not so easy' steps to implement earned value management.

Murray-Webster and Simon

Earned Value Management (EVM) has existed in a documented form since the 1960s although the underlying question behind the approach (what am I getting for the money I have spent) has obviously been around for a lot longer!

Lucidus consulting

I’ve started, but should I finish?

Murray-Webster and Simon

Good project management sometimes means stopping a project before it has delivered any or all of its desired outcomes; to prevent investment for no benefit.

Lucidus consulting

The human side of control

Watson

Getting control information from control data depends on asking the right questions.

Obsideo

Control progress

Watson

The chapter on project control from Managing Simple Projects

Praxis Framework

 

Back to top

 

Documents

All documents are provided by Praxis unless otherwise stated.

Title

Notes

Provided by

Control management plan

Document description

 

Control management plan (MS Word)

Template with annotations – useful for initial notes on content.

 

Control management plan (MS Word)

Blank template

 

Event report

Document description

 

Issue register

Document description

 

Progress report

Document description

 

 

Back to top

 

External resources

These links are correct at time of publication. Please let us know via the comments button at the top of this page if resources are no longer available. Our library pages are updated regularly - if you would like to recommend additional free resources please use the 'contact us' tab or the comment button.

Title Source Format and length Notes

Agile and Earned Value

APM1

PDF; 5 pages

An interesting white paper showing how story points can be used as the basis for earned value instead of cash or hours.

Determine the requirements for Project Control, Estimating, Planning & Cost Engineering

UKNOS2

 

PDF; 5 pages

Two sample competency definitions from the UK National Occupational Standards (NOS). For more examples search for 'project control' here

Assure and control the quality of Project Control, Estimating, Planning & Cost Engineering activities

PDF; 5 pages

Effective Project Controls: Designing the Team

Orcas Project Controls

PDF; 9 pages

A paper looking at the formation of a project controls team on major projects

 

  1. The Association for Project Management
  2. UK National Occupational Standards

Back to top

 

SHARE THIS PAGE
21st May 2014Control management plan templates added
28th May 2014New article - The human side of earned value management
26th Feb 2015New article - The human side of control

Control

Back to top